Creating fenders for a Pinewood Derby car can add a unique and stylish element to your design. Fenders are typically decorative and do not affect the car’s performance, so you have creative freedom in making them. Here’s a simple guide to make fenders for your Pinewood Derby car:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Pinewood Derby car body (already built)
- Thin, flexible material for fenders (e.g., cardboard, foam board, plastic sheet)
- Craft knife (optional)
- Paints and brushes (optional)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Design Your Fenders:
- Start by sketching a design for your fenders on a piece of paper. Consider the style you want and how the fenders will complement the overall look of your car.
- Measure and Cut Material:
- Measure the length and width of the fenders you want to create based on your design.
- Transfer these measurements onto your chosen flexible material (cardboard, foam board, or plastic sheet).
- Use a ruler and pencil to draw the fender shapes on the material.
- Cut Out the Fenders:
- Carefully cut out the fender shapes using scissors. For more intricate designs, you can use a craft knife for precision.
- Test Fit:
- Before attaching the fenders to your Pinewood Derby car, place them alongside the car’s body to ensure they fit correctly and align with your design.
- Paint (Optional):
- If you want to paint your fenders, this is the best time to do it. Use acrylic paints and brushes to add colors and designs that match your overall car theme.
- Allow the paint to dry completely before moving on.
- Attach the Fenders:
- Using a hot glue gun, apply a small amount of hot glue along the edge of one fender.
- Carefully press the glued edge onto the side of your Pinewood Derby car, aligning it with the design.
- Hold it in place for a moment until the glue sets.
- Repeat the process for the other fender.
- Trim and Sand (Optional):
- If needed, use scissors or sandpaper to trim or smooth any rough edges or excess material on the fenders to achieve the desired shape.
- Final Touches (Optional):
- Add any additional decorations or details to your fenders, such as decals, stickers, or additional paint accents.
- Test the Car:
- Before your Pinewood Derby race, test your car on the track to ensure that the fenders do not interfere with the wheels or affect the car’s performance. Make any adjustments if necessary.
- Race Your Car:
- Once you are satisfied with the fenders and the car’s performance, you’re ready to participate in the Pinewood Derby race.
Remember that the primary goal of the Pinewood Derby is to have fun and enjoy the experience of building and racing your car. Fenders are a creative way to personalize your car and make it stand out in the competition. Be sure to follow any rules or guidelines set by your Pinewood Derby event organizers regarding car modifications.